Saturday, February 4, 2012

Part One

  Sunday, Jan. 22, 2012
 The New York Giants just beat the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Championship match up. I'm Ecstatic. I'm high-fiving friends, prancing around, all in all...I'm celebrating my ass off. About 45 minutes after the game, I go to the kitchen to grab a beer. In the background i hear one of those amazing highlights (that i just previously witnessed in real-time) playing on t.v. With over-the-top excitement, i decided to run from the kitchen to my friend's living room, to once again relive that jubilant moment, but this time, in a highlight format. I take about 6 steps or so and run through the doorway, then BOOM! I collapse. I could've sworn i hit my foot against the door jamb, or something. I tried to get up but it felt like my left foot was now in a 6" stiletto. I fell again. I had no sensation if my foot was planted or not. I quickly threw my shoe off and tried to stand up again. This time, i forced my heel to touch the floor. The floor felt wobbly and unstable. Like i was trying to walk on water and i can feel the waves under my foot. Moving. That's when i said "Shhhit!"
 During this whole fiasco, i wasn't quite feeling the pain that i normally hear that's associated with a ruptured Achilles. So, i assumed a high ankle sprain. "I'm good, it'll be OK" i kept saying. But, unfortunately, I still had to drive my car back home that night. My goddam car. My goddam car that has a clutch. Never before have I looked at my car with such hatred. I felt like i was the butt of my own joke. Nevertheless......I drove home. In agony.

No comments: