Sunday, March 11, 2012

Part Seven

Wednesday, Feb.29th (Leap Day) 12:30pm

 I hated this day. It sucked! Boooooo Leap Day!! O.k., let me explain.
I left to visit the ortho center for my 2wk later recast. As I sat in the patient's room I wondered how exactly were they going to remove this fiberglass cast. Then, in came the guy with the machine. He wasted no time with getting right to my leg with his tool straight from the movie "Saw" or Hostel" or any movie that used power tools for torture. "Holy shit......is that what you're using to......", then came the whirring sound of the blade. Then seconds later......contact. To say 'my body was tense' is an understatement. I had actually positioned myself to kick the guy in the head, with my good leg, in case that blade decided to meet my skin. "How the hell do you know how deep to cut with that thing???", I asked. He explained that it doesn't cut through the cotton (which was layered under the cast). It can only cut but so far. But, damn dude....give me a head's up first or something. Damn!
 So once that was removed (the cast, not my leg of course) the surgeon returned. I decided to nonchalantly mention, to merely sorta mention this tiny annoyance I felt behind my knee for the last few evenings. "Well, just to make sure that it's not a blood clot, let's send you to get an ultrasound before we put a new cast on you". Personally I thought she was overreacting. "Are you kidding me???", I said. I was just assuming that I was sore from keeping my leg up while walking around on crutches all this time. She explained the possible severity of blood clots and thought that 'It's better to be safe than sorry'. 'Yeah,yeah,yeah', I thought. I know, doc. I get it.
 So,off i go to a place nearby to get my ultrasound. I wasn't happy. I thought this whole thing was a waste of time. After they scanned me, the radiologist shortly returned with the results. "So, Mr. Wilson, um...it looks like you have blood clots, in your leg, here, here, and here. We need to send you to the ER for blood test and to get prescriptions for blood thinners."
 "Whatchu talkin' about, Willis???" echoed in my head. But I ended up saying "WHAT?!? Are you serious??" I couldn't believe what she was telling me. Man, what a blow. That hit me like a bag of bricks across the head. "Fuuucccckk" i mumbled under my breath. Then i said it aloud. I was pissed. I was disappointed. And I felt like I was going backwards. I kept saying "dammit,dammit,dammit" all the way to my new destination. The goddamn emergency room.    

No comments: